Sunday, November 30, 2014

Dublin, Ireland

If I had to live outside of the US, I would live in Ireland.

What can I say? I loved it, the people were incredibly nice, they have a rich history, and a beautiful country. Also, potatoes, because those are important in life. 

While I was there, I went to Kilmainham Gaol, which is an old jail, and it has such a rich history of people going in there on purpose during the famine so that they could eat, and rebels being put in there before their execution after the Easter Rising. The history is so dark, but interesting, and encompasses what made Ireland what it is today.

I also went to Dublin Castle which was a beautiful mansion that still has some of its original Medieval foundations. It was really great to see the architecture from different centuries in one place. The history there was very rich as well. I found that the Irish are great storytellers and are interested in their own history, especially because their independence and the rebellions are relatively recent. They are very proud of their heritage and their history.

Everything in Ireland is beautiful, I wish I got the chance to see the countryside, but based in the city, I know that it is breathtaking. 

They're still in touch with their Celtic past as well, which is nice because that culture was a beautiful one filled with symbolism and magic and beauty, and it was cool to see that up close.

Finally, I went to see St. Patrick's Cathedral and it was magnificent. Once again, it is an incredibly old building with new portions, so there are pieces in there that contain history dating back centuries, and there are other pieces that memorialize WWI and the Easter Rising. In there you can see the history that brings Ireland from the medieval times to today, and it was beautiful and interesting.

If you couldn't tell, I loved Ireland, and I would go back in a heartbeat just to be able to explore the history, the culture, and the scenery more. It was my favorite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment